[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:05:51 EDT 2007

D700 tip-of-the-week:

One way to improve human communicaitons on APRS is to use your
D700 to read-the-mail.  That is, to join in on any other APRS
qso's that may be in progress.

Simply set a wild-card (*) in your MSG GROUP on your D7 or D700,
and then your radio will receive and display ALL message
traffic.  Any traffic between otehrs will show on your display
but will indicate it was a "GROUP" message, so that you will
know it was not really to-you, but you were just reading the
"group" traffic.

Your message buffer may fill up pretty fast, so be sure to keep
it cleared to keep room for more traffic.  I find
reading-the-mail is a great way to kill time while sitting in
the car waiting for the wife....

After all, APRS is all about fostering human communications on
ham radio in the local area...

Bob, WB4APR

Bruninga