[aprssig] Why Should a Digi Use a Path?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Jul 27 08:34:37 EDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 7:20 AM, Ken Patterson wrote:

> Can anyone give a clear & concise reason why the majority of APRS
> digis
> should transmit it's own position, wx or telemetry report with a path?

That's three different  questions in one.

First telemetry: it depends entirely on the telemetry.  Can't give an
answer without knowing what the telemetry means and the intended
audience.

WX: should use a path to give similar coverage to other WX stations
in the area.  There's no major difference in this and other WX
stations in the area, other than it's coming out of the digi.  If
it's a well sited digi, it should probably use one hop less than
recommended, since it's got it's first hop to the digi by living in
the same box as the digi.

As for its own position, I cannot have a clear picture of what _my_
packet will do if I do not have a clear picture of the infrastructure
in my area. I need to know about the network, and digis are the
network infrastructure.

Not all of us play the internet game.  findu is a great tool, but
honestly if findu and the whole APRS-IS disappeared from the planet
completely, my use of APRS would change very little.

All of this is just my opinion, of course.  YMMV.

-Jason
kg4wsv