[aprssig] Re: New OpenTracker+ features

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Jul 26 20:33:18 EDT 2007

If I remember right, the Peet Bros stations provide their own gust
measurement, at least in 'complete' mode.

As for the 1-wire weather station, it's a little more complicated.  The
tracker keeps a couple of previous high values for a certain length of
time.  It's basically an optimal stopping problem - see the 'secretary
problem' for the classic description.

The short version is that it doesn't have enough memory to track each
wind reading over the required time window, so it just does its best to
guess which peaks to keep.  The result is that it won't always report
exactly the maximum gust in exactly the past 5 minutes, but it ought to
be close enough.

Scott
N1VG