[aprssig] APRS messages being seen by "base" station

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 17:08:24 EDT 2007

Bernard Tyers wrote:

> APRS sees every station with "-XX" as a sub-station, even if the
> message originated from a sub-station?
>
> Apologies if I am not getting the message (hi hi) here!
>
> thanks in advance,
> bernard
> EI8FDB

There are no "sub-stations".

ALL stations are co-equal in the AX25 packet protocol used by APRS.    A
call with just the callsign alone ( i.e.  WA8LMF ) is actually  the call
with an SSID of zero (i.e. WA8LMF-0)  and is treated the same as any
other SSID.   (The SSID of -0 is implicit and handled as such,  even if
it is not explicitly specified.)

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map