[aprssig] findU Messages

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Thu Jul 19 22:05:27 EDT 2007

Steve Dimse wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Phillip B. Pacier wrote:
>
>> Recently, there have appeared two sets of messages on certain folk's
>> findU pages that I feel need to be addressed in open forum.
>
> Recently, meaning January. These messages appeared after you and Dick
> tried, more than half a year ago, to prove your point that the APRS IS
> core was weak, and turned off your support of Citizen Weather over a
> weekend without notice. When the core easily handled the load, proving
> you were wrong in your claims about the fragility of the core, you
> tried to recant. However, the NOAA administrators of the CW program
> saw you for what you were, have rejected your offers of participation,
> and have written you out of their plans. The messages you complain
> about are there at the request of the CW administrators to get as many
> people as possible feeding their data into the core, which thanks to
> you has been proven more reliable than Tier 2!
There is no proof of the reliability.  In fact, if you look at actual
numbers instead of falsified web pages reporting supposed stats, one
will see that the number of total connections to the core servers has
not increased one iota.  The hams are being displaced by the increased
CW connections.  But that was not the point I was trying to make
either.  Again, the initial shutting down of the CWOP servers was done
at your request - therefore, you need to step up and take ownership of
that.  Basically, you got what you want and it backfired on you!

> You tried to hold NOAA's feed of weather data hostage in an attempt to
> increase your power. You failed, people now see you for what you are,
> just go away.
That is one request of yours I will never grant.  There was no attempt
to hold any data hostage (which by the way, was not NOAA's to own, but
that is also not the point - you come up with some great fiction!), nor
have I ever felt the need to increase any power.  The true stats speak
for themselves, and our service, which serves well over 1000 connections
at any given time, has proven itself far beyond what any sig post can
do.  So please, stop the false prophecies, the made-up stories, and the
like.  Ham radio is no place for your irrelevance.

73
Phil - AD6NH