[aprssig] Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race

Bill Borgstrom bill_borgstrom at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 08:21:17 EDT 2007

This Saturday, July 14 is the start of the Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race.  This race (333 statue miles) is the longest annual freshwater sailboat race in the world.  Roy Disney, Ted Turner and Steve Fossett have in past years participated in this race. About half the fleet (the fleet is over 300 boats) will carry satellite tracking units.   The trackers use the Orbcomm LEO satellite system to email boat position reports to a web server.  You follow the fleet on the race tracking web site:

         http://www.fistracking.com

  The boat I'm racing on "Ozymandias IV"  (in  Section 7 of the race) will be the only boat in the race on APRS.  You can also follow me on APRS by using my call sign N9TN-9.

  I wrote a C++ program that uses DHCP to download the Ozymandias IV  position reports from the FISTracking SQL Server and then send the position reports to the APRServe Network.  My position reports go out to APRServe go out every 15 min. but the position reports from FISTracking are only updated every 1 hour.

   Bill N9TN