[aprssig] Garmin eTrex Legend Question

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Mon Jul 9 12:43:54 EDT 2007

Yeah, and while embedded host controllers are becoming more common, they
don't solve the driver problem.  A manufacturer like Polstar might take an
off-the-shelf (FTDI, for example) USB interface chip and build it into their
GPS receiver.  FTDI hands them a set of supported drivers that they
customize with their own vendor and product names.  Polstar's engineers
likely have absolutely no idea what actually passes between the USB chip and
the FTDI-provided drivers.  If FTDI doesn't provide drivers for a particular
platform, and doesn't provide specs on their protocol, you're out of luck
unless you can reverse-engineer it.

It's one of the reasons I've been so reluctant to just drop a chip like that
in any of my trackers - I don't like not knowing what's going on, and not
being able to change it.  My prototype ARM7-based tracker from a while back
does have USB support, but I did it from scratch, and complied with the USB
CDC spec as well.  The advantage is that I can get as many virtual com ports
as I want with no added cost, and I can make it a mass storage device, input
device, or whatever else I want it to be as well.  On the other hand, it was
a major pain in the rear.

Still, there's a lot of satisfaction in plugging in your own device and
finally having Windows make that 'boo boop!' sound and show the device name
when it finally enumerates properly...

Scott
N1VG