[aprssig] Garmin eTrex Legend Question

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jul 9 12:09:12 EDT 2007

gerheim (callsign???) wrote...

> How do you connect the USB GPSRX to a serial device like a D7?  I have
> some Serial/USB adapters, but they go "the wrong way" - from a PC to a
> serial device, not from a USB "device" to anything else.

If the device doesn't output NMEA on an "ordinary" serial port you can't
connect it to the D7. The D7 doesn't have a USB host controller to connect
it to. Some GPS receivers (e.g. Garmin 276C) have both USB and serial
connections. If you GPS receiver is USB only, it won't work. You might be
able to pry it open and find serial data somewhere before the USB port, but
you could also end up with a paperweight. GPS receivers are cheap. You could
get a Deluo or GPS 18 for less than $100, but for a few dollars more you
would have a GPS receiver with a display which you could use for other
things. Just depends on what you want to do with the GPS receiver.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH