[aprssig] APRS Wiki vandalism

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 7 13:06:04 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:39:59AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at opentrac.org> flavor, containing:
> I agree, this software isn't working out and I'm regretting the choice.  I'd
> have installed MediaWiki already if I had the time to do it.  If you (or
> anyone else) wants to volunteer to set it up and start migrating content,
> let me know and I'll set you up with an account on the server.  It's a
> Windows 2003 server running IIS, with PHP and MySQL installed.
>
> I'll see if I have a recent database backup for the wiki that might speed up
> the recovery process.  If not, some of that might have to come from Google's
> cache.

Scott:

The wiki was vandalized again today, and until it's clamped down it'll just
keep getting hit.

I think it's necessary to clamp down the registration process, at a minimum.
It should be possible even to disable the ability to create new logins, and
that would be better than nothing.

During the time that registrations are restricted, at least there would be
a useful place to *read* aprs information, whereas now we have nothing but
a place that has to be fixed every few days.

Could you do that?