[aprssig] APRS and "Live Free or Die Hard"...

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:17:32 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Timothy J. Salo <salo at saloits.com> wrote:
> Am I the only person who watched "Live Free or Die Hard"
> and noticed a couple two-second shots of a "police radio"
> that looked more like a Kenwood rig tuned to 144.34 MHz?

As long as we are talking about radios in movies, my son and I went to
see Transformers and they used 80's vintage CB HT's to coordinate all
of the defenses when the evil robots jammed the comms.  Even the guys
flying F-22's had them in the cockpit.  Where they found so many so
quickly, who knows?  It was very amusing.  Not to mention that the
robots jammed every frequency... but left the CB band in the clear.
:-)

They did use morse code at one point - generated by a computer hooked
up to a vintage army transceiver (complete with 2 inches of dust and
cobwebs).  But the funny part was the computer did not decode the CW
and show text, it just displayed dots and dashes on the screen for the
guy to read and decode himself.

Anyway, it's just a movie... :-)  Even though not realistic, at least
the point is they are trying to show innovation and work-arounds
during a crisis.  And that's not a bad thing...

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com