[aprssig] APRS Wiki vandalism

ka8vit at ka8vit.com ka8vit at ka8vit.com
Thu Jul 5 13:57:15 EDT 2007

Another reason NOT to use a Wiki to post information
or look for it.

73

Bill KA8VIT

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 05:29:40PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:

Today I discovered that just about every single page on the APRS wiki at
info.aprs.net was trashed --- all replaced by link spam, all real content
removed.

I am in the process of trying to restore it, but I have to conclude that
the wiki is in a terrible way and needs to be replaced by a more secure,
less open version.

Migrating to MediaWiki and locking it down so that sysops have to approve
new users would be my change of choice.

As it is, the wiki has pretty much been rendered useless, as it requires
manual
clean up every few days.  Today's vandalism is so severe that it will take
a long time to fix.  They even trashed the "RecentChanges" page that makes
clean-up easier (I've restored it).

-