[SPAM] RE: [aprssig] UIview Digiepater add-on

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jan 26 16:27:00 EST 2007

Kai LA3QMA wrote...

> But I really don't think a PC is stable enough to run perfectly 24/7/365
> without some kind of watchdog

I run UI-View32 as a IGate for weeks and weeks on end. The machine running
the IGate here is used for many other tasks on a daily basis, so even if
there is the occasional glitch, I know about it. However, about the only
time the computer ever needs a restart is after  Windows update that
requires it, and I have it download the updates but wait for an OK from me
before  installing them. An exception has been recently with ADSL problems
and a number of interruptions to service and the occasional reboot to prove
to the ISP that the problem is theirs. Other than this past week, it just
ticks along with no interruptions at all. I really think that Windows is a
lot more stable than it used to be, but I agree that it would be good if a
person were around to give it a nudge if needed.

> So the plugin should use WIDE1-1 or NOHOP as a path? :o)
> AGWTracker uses QRT as a method to "drop" packets so that its not
> been digied.

I would think it should be more of a no hop path... i.e. direct only. if the
idea is to let local mobile APRS users know about local voice repeaters, the
range of the object shouldn't really be reaching out to through digipeaters.
If the program generating the object is down in a hole, it probably isn't
in the best location to be generating the object. However, with that said,
I'm sure there will be occasions when someone might want to generate
objects, bulletins or announcements at something other than their default
path. I hear what Bob is saying about perhaps it might be better if it had
an unchangeable no-hop path, but perhaps I have more faith in operators
setting things up properly. If they err, we help them fix it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH