[aprssig] Local Repeater Displays on Mobiles

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jan 26 03:50:02 EST 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Only if that UI-View was operating with a (0), none, hop path.

Good point. The object would be going out with the path specified in the
station setup. Probably not very many stations that would want to change to
a no-hop path just to send out a local object.

> ...then the best way is to install a $25 APRS tracker at the voice
> repeater and let it generate it's own object from its own location.
> Then you know for sure that the coverage area of the repeater-object
> is the same as the RF coverage area of the repeater.

That sounds like a reasonable solution, but it would be "extra' traffic if
the local digi is going to send it's own beacon minus the information about
the voice repeater in any case. However, that digi might not be at the same
location as the voice repeater. It definitely sounds like an option to be
considered though. Perhaps future hardware will be smart enough to listen to
the beacon about the repeater and automatically QSY your radio to the local
frequency if you want to allow it to. Alternatively, just use two repeater
pairs along major corridors and have adjacent repeaters alternate frequency
A, frequency B etc. That way you could just scan frequencies (A, B and of
course 652) and have everything covered. Just a thought.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH