[aprssig] 220KISS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Jan 25 17:54:45 EST 2007

Dave Baxter wrote:

>Hi All...
>
>Does anyone have any informaton re the KISS only rom image "220KISS" for the Pac-Com TNC-220 ?
>
>I have just tried it, and though it receives well, it often transmit's a blank signal, that is, it keys the radio, but send no audio, that about 50% of the time.  When it does transmit audio, often it's truncated at the begining of the packet.  When it works though, the packet and data are good.
>
>The hardware is fine, the TNC-220 and radio (FT2700RH) are time prooved and work well.
>
>However due to a strange issue between UiView and the original TNC firmware 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 and it's KISS implementation, I was getting overlong transmit preambles, like at least one second!  But the data payload was good.  Hence at someone else's recomendation, I went looking for this.  Google for "220KISS" (no quotes) and you'll find it.
>
>In regular packet mode with the original firmware, the TNC works OK, no problems at all.
>
>So, looks like a bug in the 220KISS code?  Anyone know of a copy of the sources, I have Z80 cross assemblers to hand.
>
>I believe it was in part crafted by G8BPQ.  Anyone have any contact details for him?
>
>It may be a "Bit Old" though..   V.32 26MAR 87   can be seen in the rom image starting at address 0003.  The size of the image is 2k (2048 bytes)
>
>Anyone got a newer version?
>
>Cheers...
>
>Dave G0WBX.
>
>This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk

Hi Dave

The binary used to ship with BPQ408. It's along time since I used BPQ
but I vaguely recall a couple of versions of KISS for the TNC220 (was
JKISS the other version?). What I do recall is that my TNC220 NEVER gave
reliable results, regardless of the EPROM installed, and it's been
gathering dust for near 15 years.

The version of the binary I have is the same as yours.

Ray vk2tv