[aprssig] Antenna recommendation

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jan 22 18:01:27 EST 2007

Linda AD4BL wrote...

> We are using this antenna [the x-50a] here in Alaska for our digi's,
> emergency communications sites, and all our remote repeater sites.
> Many of the sites are on mountain sites or high ridges. They handle
> the ice, snow, and wind just fine here.

Perhaps we have more wind and ice here - hi! The two X-50A antennas that I'm
referring to were installed at about 7500' ASL in a location that us subject
to icing and routinely gets wind in the 150 kph range a few times each
winter. We had antennas just plain disappear when they had ice built up on
them and they were thrashed to death in the wind. Admittedly, they were
antennas that shouldn't have been installed there. The X-50As look pretty
tough, but without fail, the locking screw at the mount came loose and fell
out. I don't know if something like locktite would have prevented it. I'm
glad that your antennas are surviving (so far) but my experience was that
the locking screw right at the mount was a problem. One of the antennas is
being used now in a less harsh environment, probably with an over-sized
locking screw. The other is set up in a portable installation from time to
time. I would never install one in an alpine environment again though.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH