[aprssig] Antenna recommendation

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Mon Jan 22 17:03:24 EST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> Digi owners, can you recommend a decent antenna that is inexpensive (<=$100)
> for an APRS digipeater? I just installed a remote WX station and he
> currently has a yagi on it pointing back to me and I have offered to change
> it out with something omni-directional to enable digipeater functions. I am
> seriously considering a Cushcraft Ringo Ranger, the site is located at about
> 1900ft here in the mountains of East TN and the antenna will be at the 50ft
> mark on the tower.

 Stephen a Diamond X50 is about the best bet for the price range. One
piece fiberglass and decent gain. Ringo Rangers will probably give you a
maintenance headache (not fiberglass and has the tuning nut/bolt
exposed). maybe at 50feet that won't be a problem but I like sticking with
the fiberglass models. I have some up 5 plus years...

 --
...DOUG
KD4MOJ