[aprssig] Antenna recommendation

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jan 22 14:37:03 EST 2007

Linda AD4BL wrote...

> We are using the Diamond X-50A for our systems here.
>  It is dual band, rugged and runs about $100 from HRO.

It looks rugged, but it won't survive in an alpine environment. The set
screw down at the bottom always works loose (speaking from experience x2)
when battered by 100-150 kph winds. I've never actually had the mount break,
but there was noticeable wear each time. When there is a bad connection from
the missing screw, it can introduce noise. For anywhere but an alpine
environment (ice and wind) I would recommend the X-50A.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH