[aprssig] Antenna recommendation

Chuck Kimball n0nhj at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 14:24:56 EST 2007

I know some folks will disagree, but I've been having really good luck running simple 1/4 wave antennas from arrow.
<http://www.arrowantennas.com/gp146.html>
$30, and built well, and holds up well.  I've got several on mountain tops in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah.
I've even got one up on one of my towers here in Antarctica.  Survived it's first winter w/ 70 knot winds and ice without damage.

So far the oldest is out it's third winter, worst damage I've seen has been a broken ground plane element.   That site is still talking over a hundred miles at times.  The quarter wave works well for not shooting over the tops of the local users down in the canyons.  Most of the sites are anywhere from 700 to 4000 feet HAAT.

Other nice thing is that it doesn't require a lot of vertical real estate on the tower - only about 2'

Depends a lot on your terrain, but a lot of times gain doesn't always add to your system.
On the flip side, if I was setting things up over on the plains with high towers, I'd be trying to squeeze lots of gain out of my antennas.

I don't expect them to last as long as a good commercial (DB products, etc) style antenna, but for the money they seem to work well.

YMMV
Chuck   n0nhj