[aprssig] aprs event next weekend.

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Jan 21 22:49:28 EST 2007

Next sunday, Jan 28th we will be using APRS to track the last rider in a
motocross enduro race.  I have programmed a tinytrak with a pushbutton such
that it will squawk an ambulance and a mic-e emergency packet when pushed.
The callsign will be ai4px-11.  We will be running the event on
144.99mhzand setting up temporary digi's around the course.  It may be
that these
packets get gated to 144.39 and onto the network feed, so if you see an
emergency packet from ai4px-11, don't worry, we've got it covered.  I've
programmed the beacon text with "this is a test" so people won't get too
wound up trying to respond....  we'll have 15 some-odd hams on site helping.

Last year we used this same tracker to report 7 or 8 bikes that had
brokendown and even had to airlift a guy out who broke his femur.

By the way, the reason I'm using "emergency" mic-e packet is to make darned
sure that the kenwood d700's running around mobile get everyone's
attention.  Does anyone know if the d700 will beep for "priority" type
packet?  What about xastir?

Wes
ai4px
--
In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.