[aprssig] WHAT YOUR KENWOOD TM-D700A AND TH-D7 CAN DO MORE

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 21 18:03:00 EST 2007

> I am a beginner in packet radio, and am looking
> for recommendations for a good 2m radio with
> built in TNC. I have heard good things about the
> kenwood TM-D700 dual bander.

An excellent choice.  Too many people think of the D700 as just
an APRS radio for just vehicle tracking, but they are
overlooking the 20+ years of APRS NOT as a vehicle tracking
system, but a local, tactical, real-time data channel for
exchange of data about *everything* that is going on in ham
radio surrounding the operator (without the burden of the old
connected-packet) system of the 1980's and 90's.

We just used the control head of a D700 on a clipboard this
weekend to collect event scores from hams with the APRS D7 HT's
as score-entry devices at boy scout checkpoints at a camporee.
It worked beautifully and seamlessly with the event and even the
non-APRS inclined operators at net control welcomed the ability
to read incoming scores at their leisure on the clipboard rather
than under the stress of 20 voice operators calling in their
scores by voice.  See the web page:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html

Other things that show up on the front panel of the D700 radio:
1) Other mobiles location, distance direction and speed
2) Local APRS WX station data, temps, wind, rain, etc
3) FREQUENCY of the locally recommended travelers voice repeater
4) FREQUNECY or node number of nearby ECHOlink or ILRP nodes
5) OBJECTS for Hamfests, Nets or Meetings in progress
6) OBJECTS showing any traffic accidents or slow downs
7) Traffic speeeds at known choke points
8) Frequency and direction of any satellites in view
9) etc.

And being dual band, and with TNC for 1200 and 9600 baud, it can
receive data from amateur satellites directly, with no PC or any
other display or accessory.  During a good PCSAT-1 overhead
pass, I typically could see as many as a dozen other stations
making contacts. (though PCSAT-1 has recently gone back in
hybernation for months)...

In otherwords, The D700 (and D7 HT's) front panel is supposed to
be your window on the ham world around you.  It can display what
I call over 40 "tiny-web-pages" of information of local value to
the traveler when he enters an area, or whatever a local user
might  need to know at any time anywhwere.

For info on this local display initiative, see:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

So many things we could do.  So little time...
Bob, Wb4APR