[aprssig] RE: New Local Info Initiative

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 17 17:15:17 EST 2007

> One of the APRS digis here in NJ has phenomenally wide
> coverage, so much so that it surpasses the coverage
> range of several voice repeaters.,,,
> So, it would seem... NOT be the best station to
> announce a local voice repeater.

I agree completely.  Let the lower more local digi's do that.

> My solution was to have my home KPC3 transmit the object.
> ...set it to NO hops... and had it beaconing every
> 3-4 minutes, in hope that someone traveling quickly through
> my area would see [it]...
> ...I have since discontinued transmitting the object.

Yes, I agree it is best to take that off the air.  Your home
station was covering so little area as to make the effort not
worth while, and the high rate was added QRM that collided at
the local digi's with other local traffic that you could not
hear.

This is why it is best to let the DIGI's do this, since they can
hear the channel and avoid the collisions and also they are high
enough so that a 10 minute rate should inform a 60 MPH traveler
reasonably well.

Also, I have cleaned up the LOCAL INFO INITIATIVE web page
significantly today, and added some images and some links to
Voice Alert and other mobile applications.

Bob, WB4APR

otherwise
> empty.  This pushing of locally valuable info to travelers was
> part of the concept of APRS going back in the 1980's but seems
> to have been lost in recent APRS usage which only seems to be
> focused on mobile vehicle tracking.  APRS is supposed to be
much
> much more.
>
> APRS is supposed to be the single local resource for all local
> information of IMMEDIATE interest to the local user.  This
does
> NOT mean SPAM from out of area.  This is direct information in
> SIMPLEX range of local users informing them of assets
available