[aprssig] APRS Symbol Names

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Jan 11 20:31:06 EST 2007

Scott N1VG wrote...

> If we ever do a total rework of the APRS symbol set, I'm going
> to advocate a hierarchical system like the one I  proposed for
> OpenTRAC, which borrowed heavily from MIL-STD-2525B.

That sounds like a sensible way to go. With 8000 symbols available, there
wouldn't be any argument for not adding a symbol that was needed, and I
wouldn't squawk about 3 symbols for scouts, 2 for balloons or 7 or more
for vehicles and the existence of a few that were little used or never
used when there is supposedly no room to add a skier symbol. I'm very
enthusiastic about APRS. I want it to move forward when needed. A change
like that would allow us to expand the capabilities of it as needed. Much
of APRS has been "seat of the pants, design it as we go along". We had to
start somewhere, but maybe it is time to look at where we want to go from
here. I'm not advocating chucking the whole spec out, but now that we have
used it for a while, perhaps a clearer picture of what we want to add or
change will become more apparent.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH