[aprssig] APRS data for Scout Events

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 11 15:43:03 EST 2007

> Speaking of scoring.
> I was playing around a while back for a car rally we did.
> What I did was format a string with a unique pattern,
> which a head station listens for and then puts scores
> into a MySQL table. (LINUX and a TNC and PERL)

Yess, that is the right way to do it for sure.  And I welcome
such ingenuity.

The reason I posted this example was because in thi scase, I was
an outsider volunteer and couldn't come in and change the way
the hams that have been doing this for years have always done
it.  And since they had their own data base and their own
methods and since 90% of operators wouldn't have APRS, in this
case, we just show up with our HT's and the D700 clipboard and
they can either use the data or not.  Low risk.

Thanks for the feedback
Bob, WB4APR

system.

> > If I entered STN14 as my MYCALL and then used a format
> > something like:
> >
> > T995 47
> > T887 56
> > T4557 66
> >
> > Then that could mean from station #14, the reports for
troops
> > 995, 887 and 4557 are 47,56 and 66 respectively.
> >
> > The TM-D700 can capture and hold up to 16 of these until the
> > HQ staff looks at them and deletes them to make room for the
> > next round.  The beauty of this is that it offloads these
> > reports from the voice channel and the HQ staff can take
them
> > at -their convenience-, not at the demands of the voice
> > channel.   The voice channel is very busy, but the score
data
> > comes in bursts when the whistle blows for everyone to
change
> > stations.
> >
> > This backchannel transmission of scores from D7 users helps
> > mitigate the peak backlog of all the voice reports.
> >
> > In years past, I had proposed a special ARPS program to take
> > the data directly to a data base, but then never found time
> > to do it, and not enough D7 users to make it worthwhile.
But