[aprssig] Garmin Rino

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Jan 11 07:30:12 EST 2007

It's supposed to be being distributed with xastir, but I haven't
checked lately.  If not, I'll get a copy off the laptop in our comms
trailer next time I see that laptop.  It's called RINO.CGI .
Basically, it uses GPSMAN to query a "base" rino for all waypoints,
then if (and only if) one moves it will be converted to an aprs
position.  To allow for polling, some rino units are named
APRSyourcallsign , and this program will remove the APRS portion and
transmit an object called "yourcallsign".  The last revision of it did
the machine readable DAO format as I recall.

Wes

On 1/11/07, Rahn <whiskey7doa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wes, could you throw out a bit more info on this script? Where I would
> find it, etc.... I might be interested in such a critter.
>
> Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
>
> > there is a script / glue between xastir and garmin rinos that will
> > syphon off rino positions from a "base" unit to convert to APRS
> > format.
> >
> > Wes
> >
> > On 1/10/07, Mark Cheavens <mcheavens at usa.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Since the subject of Garmin was brought up today....
> >>
> >> Has anyone looked at the current series of RINO radios? They have
> >> fantastic mapping capabilities!
> >>
> >> I wonder if anyone has ever approached Garmin about making a Ham
> >> version of the radio....Or if LOTS of us requested it, would they do it?
> >>
> >> I for one would LOVE to have a RINO in the UHF ham band! I'll bet
> >> that would spark some new interest in RINO decoding!
> >>
> >> Seems that RINO decoding has kind of lost any focus in the APRS world
> >> as no new development has been done in a while. (Or not that I have
> >> seen or found).
> >>
> >> Mark
> >> KC5EVE

> --
> Rahn Abbott
> W7DOA
> 73

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.