[aprssig] Easy Xastir (was: dos on a winxp machine)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 9 12:39:39 EST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Danny Messano wrote:

> After some digging, I found this link for a HowTo on Xastir/Vmware, and
> links to some prebuilt VM's... Nice!
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:VMware
>
> I'm home sick today, and need something to do while I am not doing anything,
> so I think I'm going to try a FreeDOS/APRSdos VM and see how it goes.

Have fun!

For any of you that already have a Linux instance, or perhaps  Linux
inside VMWare Player or Microsoft Virtual Machine, here's another
something-something to play with:

  <ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB/xastir-lsb-1.8.5.tar.bz2>

That's a pre-compiled Xastir for any Linux that is LSB-compliant
(Linux Standard Base).  On some Linux OS'es you'll need to install
an "lsb" package first to make them compliant.

The package up there is fresh as of today and includes Shapefile
support, topo support, online map support, the list goes on an on.

See the README.txt file there to see just how easy it is to
install and run:

  <ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB/README.txt>