Eagle Scout Icon - Was Re: [aprssig] APRS data for Scout Events

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:04:42 EST 2007

> Bob being an Eagle Scout I think it's great that you being
> the APRS guy are trying to use it in BSA events. One question
> I have is I know we have a Boy Scout and Girl Scout "icon"
> but would it not be cool to have a Eagle Scout Icon for APRS??

Yes, it would, and that is a neat idea, but the problem is that
there is very little if any space left in the SYMBOL address
space to add new symbols.  So we only add new ones when we think
that a reasonable number of the 30,000 APRS users would be able
to take advantage of it.  We have added a few symbols over the
years and try to keep the table updated on this web page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/symbolsX.txt

If any one's software does not show all these symbols, they
might consider approaching their software author to see if an
updated symbol table is available.

Bob, WB4APR