[aprssig] Xastir or WinAPRS questions

Mark Sproul kb2ici at amsat.org
Fri Jan 5 09:47:32 EST 2007

MJ

I am the author of WinAPRS, so I can address these questions

At 3:02 AM -0800 1/5/07, M J wrote:
>Hello,
>While working on a college project, I ran across APRS and have been
>watching the list for a while.  I was wondering about a couple of
>particular features and wondered if someone would be nice enough to
>help me to know if either Xastir or WinAPRS has them?
>
>Three items I'm interested in:
>
>I would like to double-click on the symbol for a weather station and
>have a dashboard popup, displaying the weather data graphically.

	Yes WinAPRS has this capability

>Same item for moving objects (but about the ability to see a
>dashboard of their GPS reported data).

	Yes, WinAPRS can do this

>As a followup to that from a recent thread, I understand that both
>encoded and raw NMEA data can exist on the APRS network.  Is raw
>NMEA decoded and treated like encoded data in these programs?

	there are at least 3 different lat/lon varioations that APRS supports

	NMEA
	MicE encoded
	APRS Posit report, this is a format defined by APRS which is simple
		lat/lon human readable

>Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if Xastir and WinAPRS have
>the abilities that I'm looking for (as a receive-only station as I
>am not able to transmit on RF).
>
>Thank you!
>MJ
>
>PS: Since I'm receive only, I'm wondering if maybe someone has
>developed a web-page that I could hit to provide the same
>information without having to load software on my computer?

Mark Sproul                              |
http://ecs.rutgers.edu                   |
msproul at jove.rutgers.edu                 |
Manager - Engineering Computing Services | 732-445-3121
Rutgers University School of Engineering |
Office: Eng D111                         |