[aprssig] Help with Interfacing a GPSto Kantronics KPC-3

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 3 17:46:23 EST 2007

> I have put together the TAPR PIC-E 'dumb tracker'. The PIC-E
does not
> transmit the GPS data correctly, even though the PIC-E Diags
run
> correctly.  It does appear to parse or recognize the $GPRMC
> string, but sends erroneous GPS characters to the radio
>(off air testing).

Be sure you are expecting the right thing.  The Mic-E Format
consists of only a few bytes.  The entire APRS position report
in Mic-E format is only 9 bytes long and ususlly looks like
gyberish, just like any TH-D7 or D700 looks.

Could that be it?
Bob

> MYCALL and
> the other PIC-E programmed text transmits correctly, it is
just the
> parsed GPS strings that are corrupt. After much trial and
> error, I have
> re-discovered that my long lost KPC-3 TNC may support what I
need to
> complete my project.
>
> Although, it seems I will have to go through more trials with
this
> hardware before getting the results I need.
>
> 73,
>
> John N6VMO

Kantronics KPC-3

> john.maetta at boeing.com wrote:
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.  I have yet to hook a transmitter up
to the
> KPC-3.
> > So 'On the Air' testing has not been tried yet.
> > I am trying to get the basics working first, then I'll
interface the
> > KPC-3 to my transceiver. What I wanted to see was the Xmit
LED
> > illuminate every 10 and 20 seconds to demonstrate that my
system is
> > working.
> >
> > 73
> >
> > John N6VMO
> >

> The transmitting of raw NMEA strings over the air in routine
APRS

http://wa8lmf.net