[aprssig] RE: [Kenwood_TH-D7] TH-D7 Power up problem

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Mon Jan 1 18:26:22 EST 2007

Since I did not get any responses to my original post, I finally got around
to opening up this radio to see if it was anything obvious.  I could not see
anything obvious and to take the bottom PC board off, I would have to
unsolder some shielding.  Am not willing to go that far at the moment unless
our county DEM authorizes it first.

>From what I have figured out so far is that the problem appears to be part
of the disconnect tab inside the external power connector.  It appears this
disconnect remains in the disconnected position with an external power
connector connected or not.  Connecting external power to the external power
connector does put 12 volts to the normal battery tabs on the back of the
radio.  This is the normal charging voltage for the battery, so it appears
that I would need to replace the external power connector.

Has anyone ever had this connector fail?  Has anyone ever replaced it?
Where did you purchase the replacement connector?  How difficult of a job is
it to replace this power connector?  Has anyone ever sent their radio to
Kenwood to have this connector replaced?  If so, what did they charge for
the repairs.

I am looking for answers to these questions so that I can better discuss the
next COA with my local DEM.

Thanks,

Herb