[aprssig] Bar Code Formats for APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 27 14:45:27 EST 2007

I think a BarCode Application is ideal for APRS.

> IF the entrant's scorecards could be barcoded, they
> could be scanned on the way IN to a stage and on the
> way OUT of a stage.

I hope we can integrate the Barcodes into APRS in a seamless way
so that they can be tabulated even on existing machines.  Here
are some options:

>STATUS Packet...
:BLN1SCAN :A bulletin to all
:DATABASEx:A message to "databaseX callsign"
=POSIT/position comment text

MESSAGE FORMAT:  A message to s specific applications callsign
wouild be great for generic applications.  They will be captured
by all APRS clients and can be captured in FINDU etc.

POSIT FORMAT:  The POSIT format is good for an application where
the person with the wand is moving about.  Such as moving
through a building or something (or a cave) and whenever they
see a barcode on the wall, they scan it and their wand sends the
LAT/LONG position AND any other data that is on the bar code.

Can anyone see any application that cannot be fit into either of
these formats?

Bob, WB4APR