[aprssig] whatever happened to....

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 27 14:42:29 EST 2007

I hesitate to enter a shameless plug for my eBay item, but...

I've monitored the barcode thread for some time, it's been
Debated for a year or more now.  So how can it be accomplished easily?
Try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320086341448

A handheld PC PDT(personal data terminal, with integrated barcode
Scanner.  It can run APRSDOS!!  *Maybe* even run one of the Windows
APRS clients if you can get Win 3.1s up and running.  The main limitation
Would be the graphics drivers.  But being able to run APRS under DOS
And have integrated barcode capability, PLUS you can turn it into
A wireless device with a PCMCIA Wi-Fi NIC card or add an Ethernet card.

These are fully programmable so it doesn't seem too far fetched
That integrating barcode and UI-Packets would be all too difficult.
And having a handheld PC with LCD display running on a rechargeable battery
For APRS is just way too cool.  Not simply a PDA which has always seemed
Very limited IMHO.  This is the closest thing to adding a barcode scanner
To a D7.

Comments?

Ray - WB3ABN
Kingston, WA