[aprssig] HamHUD RevE Kit Accesories

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Thu Feb 22 18:53:36 EST 2007

It was brought to my attention that my announcment
email was just too vauge for most to figure out what I
was talking about.

For those wanting to know just exactly what a HamHUD
is, please visit the official HamHUD website at
www.hamhud.net  Here you can read all about the
device, see pictures of past HamHUDs and the new ones
and read all of the documents including the users
manual and assembly manuals.  You may also join us at
the Yahoo HamHUD SIG
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hamhud

The HamHUD is a "heads up" display that utilizes a
4x20 LCD for displaying APRS information in a easily
read format.  This included beacon data from any APRS
station using human readable and MIC-E packet formats.
 It can also display weather data from any APRS
weather station.  You can send and receive messages
through the HamHUD.  The HamHUD was the FIRST device
to have SmartBeaconing, the well loved and widely
adopted speed-determining beaconing algorithm.  The
HamHUD is an all-around great alternative to a full
laptop in a mobile environment or an alternative to
the Kenwood D700.  Although, the D700 can now be used
as the radio/TNC for the HamHUD.  So you D700 owners
can play also.

Last year we did a massive kitting of the latest
revision the RevE HamHUD II.  This version employed a
standardized DB15 interfacing port to handle: Power,
TNC and GPS connections.  The breakout board that I
have created is a simple way to interface these items
with off-the-shelf cables, as well as minimize
clutter.  Simply, a straight through DB15 male to DB15
female cable is put in between the HamHUD II and the
breakout board.  This allows all of the cabling
clutter to be re-located to an area that can be
concealed, such as under a seat or behind the dash
board in a car.

If you are interested in building a HamHUD, we are no
longer offering kits due to the drop in kit sales, but
we do still have PCBs, PICs and FRAMs to sell and help
you get started Hudding.  Please contact me offlist at
jason @ rpc-electronics.com (take out the spaces) if
you have any questions or would like to purchase any
of these parts.

Thanks for the bandwidth guys!

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics