[aprssig] APRS SPAM messages (auto replY)

Steve Huston huston at srhuston.net
Tue Feb 20 11:24:55 EST 2007

On 2/20/07 11:02 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> If you have something else to say to everyone ALL
>> THE TIME, then put it in your STATUS packet, not an
>> auto-REPLY-QRM message.  Also AUTO-REPLY message settings should
>> time out.
> Another thing we _could_ implement, but we'd have to warn our users
> about this change well ahead-of-time.  What sort of timeframe are
> you suggesting?  A day?  An hour?

What about having it user-configurable, with a max setting of 12 or 24
hours (and maybe a default of one).  This way if one station is
abandoned for some kind of emergency work, they can put up a reply to
tell senders the call of the active station, but it'll time out a while
after anyone who knew the old station's call has learned of the new one.

Of course, tactical calls would alleviate that too I'm sure, but that's
a horse of a different colo(u)r.

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285