[aprssig] UI-View over LAN...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 02:10:30 EST 2007

***** OMNIBUS REPLY TO SEVERAL ISSUES ON THIS THREAD *****

webmanou812 at yahoo.com wrote:
> My “ham” computer sits in the basement…
>
> The “other” computer sits on the main floor…
>
> We do not have internet access at home yet…so, I was
> going to set up UI-View over the LAN, and found maybe
> 2 sites that had info on it…
>
> It says in the APRS Server Setup page to set the “ham”
> (aka host) computer to “Enable local server”…
>
> Ok, did that…
>
> Now on the other computer, it says to edit the
> APRS_Server portion in the INI file use the “ham”
> computer’s IP address, and use port 1448…
>
> Save it and start up “other” computer and connect to
> aprs server…
>
> Well, I have, but it don’t……

Do you have firewall software running on the server machine? WinXP SP2
enables the Windows firewall by default. If so, it will block what it
considers unsolicited attempts to connect from another machine. You have
to set up an exception to allow incoming requests on the port number you
use for the UIview server .

ve7gdh at rac.ca wrote:

> That will work as long as the computer is always 192.168.1.100... e.g.
> it is assigned a static IP instead of letting a DHCP server assign an
> IP. You can get around that by using "computername:1448" instead using
> of course the actual name that you assigned to the computer that has
> local server enabled.
>
> Right-click on MY COMPUTER, click on PROPERTIES and on the "Computer
> Name" tab to remind yourself the name of the computer... or to change it.

Another easy workaround to the changing IP address problem with DHCP is
to edit the Windows HOSTS file to give the server machine an alias that
is independent of the machine name provided during Windows setup or the
IP address handed out by DHCP.

Search for the file "HOSTS" with no extension. It should be in the path
system32\drivers\etc located under the main Windows directory; i.e.
\WINNT on 2k or \WINDOWS on XP. Open this text file with a basic ASCII
editor like Notepad. You should see something like:

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

Add a line such as
127.0.0.1 hamserver

and save the file. 127.0.0.1 is the magic address that always means
"this machine" and is equal to the name "localhost". This assigns the
alias "hamserver" to the machine, in addition to whatever numeric IP
address the machine happens to get given by DHCP.

Now from any other PC on the LAN, you can access the UIview local server
by entering the address "hamserver:1448" into the UIview APRServe logon
instead of a numeric IP address.

Further, if you enable the UI-Webserver in addition to (or instead of)
the "local" server, you can now enter "http://hamserver" into your
browser from any other machine on the lan and view it just like any
other website!

wes at kd4rdb.com wrote:
> Speaking of this thread.... is there any aprs software out there that
> will make a webpage like winaprs used to? I mean that it will
> generate images with the icon plotted on it as opposed to sending my
> browser to mapblast or aprsworld.... I'm trying to run a web enabled
> aprs kiosk at a location that will not have internet but will have
> local wifi.
>
> Wes

Yes! UIview!

1) You have to enable the UI-scheduler utility to periodically take a
screen shot of the current UIview map area (perhaps once every two
minutes) and copy it to the UI-webserver's subfolder. The command line
in UI-Scheduler will look something like:

E2 CAPTURE_MAP "c:\UIview\UI-WebServer\HTML\map.png" (or whatever path
you have UIview installed on)

You can run any map in UIview including Precision Mapping scrollable,
zoomable maps and do this. The screen cap will include everything on the
UIview screen including track lines, range circles, symbols, WX zones, etc.

2) Edit the HTML of the webserver page "index.html" located in the
"UI-WebServer\Special Pages" folder to include your map image as a
normal html image.

3) Start the UI-webserver. (Or use UI-Scheduler to start the web server
automatically a minute or so after UIview starts up on the server machine).

4) Use the HOSTS file trick above to access it from a browser on any
other machine on the LAN by entering "http://hamserver/index.html". You
may need to poke a hole in the firewall to allow inbound http (port 80)
requests to the webserver.

Note that with this setup you DON'T need any APRS software at all on the
remote client machines; just a web browser.

--

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
EchoLink Node: 14400 [Think bottom of the 2M band]

NEW! TNC Test CD
http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

"APRS 101" Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Updated "Rev G" APRS http://wa8lmf.net/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: