[aprssig] UI-View over LAN...

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 19 22:01:56 EST 2007

Eric Weber wrote:

>My “ham” computer sits in the basement…
>
>The “other” computer sits on the main floor…
>
>We do not have internet access at home yet…so, I was
>going to set up UI-View over the LAN, and found maybe
>2 sites that had info on it…
>
>It says in the APRS Server Setup page to set the “ham”
>(aka host) computer to “Enable local server”…
>
>Ok, did that…
>
>Now on the other computer, it says to edit the
>APRS_Server portion in the INI file use the “ham”
>computer’s IP address, and use port 1448…
>
>Save it and start up “other” computer and connect to
>aprs server…
>
>Well, I have, but it don’t……
>
>I’ve unchecked the “APRS server log on required” as I
>thought I read it in the help files…
>
>So anyway, what am I missing?
>
>The instructions I’ve found have a little to be
>desired…
>
>Any help you can share would be appreciated…
>
>73’s
>Eric
>kc0ahk
>

>Give me a minute to put on the flame resistant shorts ;)

I run UIView over my LAN but I do it a little differently.

In my case the "ham" computer runs Linux which has a UDP link to the
Windows machine for UIView. APRS radio traffic goes to the LAN via that
port. You don't say what operating system the "ham" computer uses.

On the Windows machine I run AGWPE with the LU7DID axip driver. UIView
interfaces with AGW.

AGW has a "remote control" option that allows it to function over a
Telnet link from anywhere on a network. If you're running Windows on
both machines, perhaps this is an option.

Ray vk2tv