[aprssig] Consulting

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Feb 17 10:33:26 EST 2007

On Feb 17, 2007, at 10:03 AM, John Habbinga wrote:

> Steve, I don't know where you'd find a "Pro" to consult about APRS.

Actually they are a number of APRS users that do have real AVL
consulting businesses, turns out one lived about 50 miles from this
city.

> Are they wanting to use APRS so that they can increase their
> interoperability with ham radio operators, or are they wanting to
> use the AVL features of APRS to track their own assets for
> improved  law enforcement activities?

The latter.

> If that is the case, then most APRS client software and software
> like javAPRSSrvr, is either not available for commercial use or
> requires a licensing fee.

At least one hub and two clients are unencumbered by commercial
restrictions, but regardless, commercial users are generally willing
to pay reasonable fees. This is really not a hurdle.

Steve K4HG