[aprssig] D700-external PIC processing

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Sun Feb 11 11:14:40 EST 2007

> A packet parser would be helpful, but I think the most useful thing
> someone could do is reverse engineer the connection and protocol
> between the display head and the radio.  If we could wedge a
> microcontroller in there, we'd have something _really_ useful.  Given
> their replacement cost, I'm not too keen on hacking at mine. (:

It's just a two wire serial connection from the main microcontroller on
the D700 and the display head. Probably even asyncronous serial. There
are no bus trasceivers, just a buffer chip, so there is a dedicated RX
and a dedicated TX pin.

I had the privledge of fixing a D700 that the control cable had gotten
shorted on. I had to desolder a TSSOP buffer chip and put a new one in
place. Troubleshooting that problem was fun.

-Jim KB0THN