[aprssig] D700-external PIC processing

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Feb 11 10:38:49 EST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Looks like CALL,LAT,LONG,SYMBOL,CSE,SPEED, then STATUS TEXT?
>
> My guess is that CSE is stored as 1-to-8 for the cardinatl
> points of the compass.

Not sure, but that could be for the on-screen compass.  Actual course
is displayed as degrees on the detailed info screen.

> The above examples have no speed?

Yep, they're all fixed stations.  I just grabbed the first three in
that old log file I had, without paying attention to the details.
When I captured the file I should have captured some raw packet data
from another TNC for correlation, but I didn't think of it at the time.

> But if this is true, then SOMONE should write a PIC processor to
> parse out of theese packets, any FREQUNCY info an either display
> it or something.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to make data display on the
D700 control head.  I specifically wanted to insert reports heard
from other frequencies to have a unified listing on the D700 control
head.

A packet parser would be helpful, but I think the most useful thing
someone could do is reverse engineer the connection and protocol
between the display head and the radio.  If we could wedge a
microcontroller in there, we'd have something _really_ useful.  Given
their replacement cost, I'm not too keen on hacking at mine. (:

It would probably be easier just to create a new control head and
application interface (ala HamHud) and operate it that way.

-Jason
kg4wsv