[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

jdw at eng.uah.edu jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Feb 11 07:19:48 EST 2007

Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> In "APRS" mode, the D700's internal firmware creates an APRS terminal on
> the control head's screen and sends nothing to the serial port.

... by default, anyway.  There is a command you can send to put it in a
sort of monitor mode so that you can see lots of data.  U think the NMEA
sentences pass through, but unfortunately the APRS data is in some odd
internal format and I've never tried to reverse engineer it so that it
could be translated into an APRS data stream.  Here are a few examples of
the specific strings that pop up when a station is heard:

LIST 01,KG4WSV-7,34338200087047001,/#,,4,S,W3,ALn X-Digi kg4wsv,5100--------
LIST 01,K4JCH-6,34356200086203901,/-,,4, ,Johns home DIGI,5230--------
LIST 01,N4JDB-1,34263900087228301,/_,,6, ,West Lawrence Co., A,295000027000

-Jason
kg4wsv