[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Feb 11 04:56:39 EST 2007

scott at opentrac.org wrote:
>> I would be interested in a device which sends detailed
>> Waypoint info to my GPS
>> using the Garmin Protocol and APRS icons,  yet preserves all
>> of the features
>> available with the D7/D700.
>>

> Will the D700 output raw packet data to the serial port in APRS mode?  If
> so, I could do a stripped-down version of the T2 firmware that'd handle the
> decoding and Garmin output.
>
> Scott
> N1VG

In "APRS" mode, the D700's internal firmware creates an APRS terminal on
the control head's screen and sends nothing to the serial port.  The
serial port WILL accept commands to configure the radio (load/read
memories, switch bands, change freq and PL, dim the panel, etc) and to
change TNC mode (APRS, PACKET or OFF).

In "PACKET" mode, the D700 just acts like any radio connected to a TNC.
What comes out of the D700's DB9 serial port is about the same as you
would get from a TNC2 in normal conversational mode, plus GPS
passthrough from the dedicated GPS port ala KPC3+.

You can even live dangerously and command the D700 into KISS mode, but
your external device must be really fast on the draw to accept data as
soon as it appears, in order to avoid the dreaded KISS overrun from a
far-too-small buffer in the '700s internal TNC.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD
  http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest