[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sat Feb 10 23:58:23 EST 2007

> IMO, if it had messaging capability it would be superior to the APRS
> application in the D7/700 when it is used in conjunction with a

It can do messaging, it just has no user interface of its own.  If you plug
it in to a dumb terminal (I use an old Palm III) it'll send and receive
message, and handle acks and retries.

> mapping GPS. As a digipeater it's already superior to any device you
> can name, except maybe a digi_ned installation.

I think Rich Painter's uSmartDigi beats it for flexibility, but I don't
think it's remotely configurable like the T2.  The main limitation is the
lack of buffer space - you don't want to use the T2 for digipeating TCP/IP
or anything.

(Sorry for the slow replies, just got back to town after two weeks away on
business.)

Scott
N1VG