[aprssig] HF Gateway Stations

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Feb 6 18:13:43 EST 2007

kc5zrq at gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to view the locations of HF APRS Gateway stations.  I
> have found this webpage, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/gates.html
> , but I cannot get javAPRS to work (unsigned active-x control).
>
> Is there another place I can view these stations?

1)    Java applets don't use Active-X controls.  The whole point of Java
on web pages is that it DOESN'T use proprietary techniques such as
Active-X that only work on Windows.

2)    Once again someone is quoting or referencing an obsolete domain.
Bob's site is now on an EDU domain  Due to a mis-configured domain
server, the old domain continues to (sometimes for some people) respond.
It should be:

    <  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/gates.html >

How many more decades is it going to take to exterminate the citing of
.MIL version of links to Bob's site from other websites and search engines??

3)     There is NO Java or Active-X controls on the page.   It's only a
static GIF image on a normal HTML page.

4)     The findu link shown on the page may or may not truely show what
is out there since it is only sorting by symbol.  The list  assumes that
all gateways use the diamond-G icon.  Many other stations are gating but
not using that symbol and thus don't show in the list.  The findu page
is also just normal HTML with a 4-column table on it.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD
  http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest