[aprssig] Windows US Daylight Time Change Screwup Looming

Danny Messano danny at messano.net
Sat Feb 3 20:50:45 EST 2007

There is a lot of FUD around Windows 2000 and the DST patches.

The XP patch changes the registry keys that keep up with the timezones and
their DST attributes.   It is packaged as a patch so it's transparent to the
users and easy to deploy.

M$ decided not to distribute a public patch for 2000 because it's 7 years
old.  You only get so much free support from a $200 purchase.  In the same
breath, they do point out that customers with extended support packages can
request a hotfix for 2000 (if they need it), and they've also made it known
what the specifics on the registry changes are, should one want to update
manually or roll their own update.

Some, like a vendor I use, have made their own 2000 "patch".  Some have
reverse engineered the XP patch (why?).  This could have beem a problem, but
the Y2K hysteria is not necessary, as the problem is pretty much solved.

Not sure why we couldn't have had the links without the anti-M$
rant/agenda...  Let's save that for the APRS apps that break under Vista. :)

Danny Messano