[aprssig] Help setting up a new TM-D710 for APRS

Shanon KA8SPW ka8spw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 09:29:21 EST 2007

Hi Bob,

  Long story short we found the problem and fixed it.  It was a bad RJ45
connector on the cable from the head to the transceiver.  The plastic
was bent over onto the gold pins preventing the audio from the head
getting to the rear unit.  Our first chase was that maybe a parameter
was set wrong.

  The radio worked fine for normal voice communications.  The radio did
transmit like it was sending a postilion.  Only it was a dead carrier,
no data, no audio at all.  Not having a schematic made it difficult to
trace.  It was a new installation in a new Toyota Pria hybrid done by
the owner, I was not aware of what cabling was involved with this new
radio..  Not until I figured out where the TNC was and that the audio
for it was separate from the microphone audio did the bell ring.

  The radio belongs to my father in law, WA8OOH.  Both of us have been
in packet since the TNC-1 hooked to a model 33 and our Digital Group
Computers.  Together we had built many of them.  I live near Detroit, he
has now retired and moved to the Michigan U.P.  He was here for the
holidays.  I just retired too, from Ford at the R&E Center.  I don't
know where I had time to work, I am so busy now!

  Thanks for all that you do Bob.  Hope you had a Merry Christmas and
will have a GREAT NEW YEAR!

Shanon KA8SPW