[aprssig] DIGI 8.3 WIDE1-1 bug?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 27 17:43:19 EST 2007

Everyone:

We have made great progress on improving the APRS network sith the New-N paradigm settings...  But...

I can't believe it.  I assumed our KPC3+ was working fine over the last few years under the New-N paradigm, now years later, I just happened to notice that our local KPC-3+ TNC must be one of the early roms!

So this is a reminder that everyone must look closely at raw packets to make sure their local DIGI is working correctly.

Here is the test:

Send a packet VIA WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.  THe correct digipeat should use up the WIDE1-1 completely and mark it with the asterix as shown here:

XXXXX,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1

The incorrect response is:
XXXXX*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1...

In this case, this packet will go no further because the WIDE1 by itself is a dead end.  THe fix is a simple change of setting.  THe fix is to simply add WIDE1-1 to the UIDIGI alias list.  See the details on:

http://nwp.ampr2.net/nwaprs/DigipeaterFirmware

Bob, WB4APR

Your KPC3P-34F68191-8.3 version is not (yet) listed at
http://nwp.ampr2.net/nwaprs/DigipeaterFirmware

but it seems to be right on the boundary between the earliest 8.3's (which needed WIDE1-1 in UIdigi) and the later ones (which didn't).

That URL is James Ewen VE6SRV's [jewen at shaw.ca] web work and he hasn't made it public (except to me) as I recall, but I'm sure you can use the info.  I don't actaully know if it's all current good info right not, as I haven't really looked it over in a long, long time.  Perhaps a email to James VE6SRV can help with publicizing or updating it.

Hope this helps.

Cap.