[aprssig] Re: Aerial or Satellite Photos/Map for APRS Use

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Mon Dec 17 14:19:48 EST 2007

There is a free Mr. Sid decoder program at Lizard tech's web site
http://www.lizardtech.com/download/dl_options.php?page=viewers. I would also
check your State's GIS web site. If anyone has the most current aerial
images available for free that would be the place. This is where most
mapping sources like Google Earth get them from.

Thank You,
Brian Webster N2KGC

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of mconner at aer.com
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 2:12 PM
To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: [aprssig] Re: Aerial or Satellite Photos/Map for APRS Use

Many states have high-resolution photos for agricultural and survey
purposes, but you may need ArcMap or similar software to rigorously rectify
them to a lat/lon grid.  You can try Googling for "Farm Service Agency" or
FSA and something like "orthophoto".  Nebraska has some 1-meter imagery
available for this.

You can also try the USDA's website at http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/ and
see if they produce something in a useful format for you.  It appears any of
their recent ag survey imagery is only available in a MrSID format, which
will require a GIS client like ArcMap for use.

73 de Mark N9XTN

aprssig mailing list
aprssig at lists.tapr.org

More information about the aprssig mailing list