[aprssig] New Feature On My UIview Webserver Maps - U.S. Weather Warning/Watch Zones

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 15:12:18 EST 2007

I have been experimenting with with some changes and updates to my
UI-Webserver.    For some time, I have been using the webserver included
with UI-View to make maps of the APRS activity locally on 2 meters and
across the U.S. on 30M HF available to anyone on the Internet.

I am now plotting the US National Weather Service weather warning and
watch zones for the entire continental US on my 30M HF APRS map at:

     <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>

This UI-Webserver is running here at my house over a consumer "768K"
ADSL account whose uplink (outbound) speed is only about 150K. . Details
of the "Ham Superserver" that runs the UIview server and several other
ham Internet apps is here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/EPIAserver>

If too many people hit this server at the same time, you may get
timeouts or partial loads of the map.  If this happens try again.

*****  HOW THIS WORKS  *****

The UI-NWS add-in for UI-View can automatically plot the U.S. warning
and watch zones on UIview maps, if you have an always-on Internet
connection.  These zone outlines are turned on and off by a stream of
messages, passed over the APRS Internet system. The messages come  from
a special server that receives US government NWS bulletins and reformats
them into APRS-compatible bulletins.  These messages are inserted into
the APRS Internet system by a virtual igate called "WXSVR".

The NWS bulletins are received for the entire country, even on
regional-filtered APRS feeds. If you use the port 14580 user-defined
filter port on an APRS server,  adding  "t/n" to the normal port 14580
filter expression will cause all of the NWS bulletins to be sent, along
with weather-related APRS area objects originated by APRS users.
UI-NWS snags these special messages and uses them to light up the
display of colored translucent area outlines contained in a set of
"shape files" available from the US NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric
Administration) website.

Details on downloading and using the shape files for use with UIview and
other APRS programs is on my website at:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/get_nws_shapefiles.htm>

Details for using shape files with UIview are in the help system within
UI-NWS.  Start this plugin by pulling down "File, UI-NWS" from the main
UIview 2.03 program.