[aprssig] RE: AGWPE dual speeds ?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 23:38:41 EST 2007

Ralph Milnes wrote:
> I don't know of a client that can manage 2 ports simultaneously yet
> independently (RX and TX independently by port), but you could run two
> instances of a program (or different programs), one managing AGWPE Port 1
> and the other Port 2. (But does the 706 have separate TX audio and PTT
> controls for 9K6 and 1k2?)

The Icom 706 has the standard 6-pin mini-DIN "DATA/PACKET" connector.

     Details Here:   <http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/MiniDIN6-Packet.pdf>

As long as you are only receiving, there is no problem since you can use
the direct discriminator out (a.k.a "9600 RX) " for the 9600 baud side
of AGW, and the de-emphasized audio out (a.k.a. "1200 RX") for the 1200
baud side of AGW at the same time.

Transmit will be more of a bother since the standard mini-DIN has only a
SINGLE TX input.  You normally have to fiddle with a configuration menu
setting on most modern radios - "1200 Baud TX" routes the pin through
the normal TX audio system of the radio while "9600 Baud TX" routes the
input pin directly to the TX modulator with DC coupling.

[I suppose you could leave the radio set permanently in the 9600 mode
(direct modulator in), and then kludge up a simple two-input op-amp
mixer.  One input would be direct-in DC-coupled for 9600. A second input
would be AC coupled and pre-emphasized (i.e. very small size coupling
cap) for the 1200 baud input.    The PTT lines from both sides of AGW
would be ORed into the single PTT input of the mini-DIN jack; i.e. two
open-collector transistors or opto-isolators with their collectors in
parallel.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map