[aprssig] SS7-7

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Dec 11 22:35:53 EST 2007

Does anyone remember that airplane that sent an emergency beacon over
watertown NY about 3 years ago?  I can't remember what path he used, but I
recieved him in central SC on my d700 in the parking lot at work.  If anyone
knows what path he used, it'd be nice to know... I think he was at 3500 feet
and i know his packet went 800 miles.

Wes

On 12/11/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> By the way.  When I say there is nothing worse than WIDE7-7,
> everyone should  also realize that conversly, there is nothing
> wrong with using SS7-7.
>
> Example.  MD3-3 will hit every digi in Maryland if launched from
> the center of the state.  MD5-5 will hit every digi in Maryland
> if launched from the remotest corner of the state.  Soooooo..
> There is no difference between MD3-3, MD5-5 or MD7-7.  They have
> exactly the same result.  Each of them will hit all 20 or so
> digis in the state (depending on where sent). (If that is their
> intent).
>
> So nitpicking the "N" in SSn-N paths to me is pointless *if* the
> point of a particular packet is truely to flood the local ARRL
> (SS) section.  Of course, MOST OF THE TIME a full section flood
> is not intended.  In this case, those in Eastern Maryland might
> use MD3-3 to cover their end of the state without bothering
> Deleware or Virginia, and those in Western Maryland might use
> MD3-3 to cover the panhandle of Maryland without bothering, VA,
> WV, Ohio and PA... Etc...
>
> I simply want WIDE7-7 to disappear completely and forever.  IN
> fact, almost anything above 4 in my mind everywhere is far more
> than any emergency would ever call for.  Even listing
> "exceptions" for the use of WIDE7-7 seems to me to viloate the
> spirit of the New-N paradigm which was to SIMPLIFY APRS paths
> and protect the network for IMPROVED reliability...
>
> But by the same token, SS7-7 is completely different and
> perfeclty legitimate if a section wide message from the section
> personnel is needed.
>
> Just a point...
> Bob, Wb4APR

Some people's minds are so open, their brains fall out.