[aprssig] Hacked TomTom units for APRS applications?

Lawrence Katz (N2TBX) n2tbx at arrl.net
Tue Dec 11 20:41:41 EST 2007

Hi -

I just started reading this list again after a long break.  I'm wondering
if anyone has discussed possible APRS related uses for a hacked TomTom GPS.
 It looks like the majority, if not all, of the models run on Linux.  The
RAM and CPU horsepower might be a limiting factor though.  Here's a site
with some more specifics:

http://www.opentom.org

Since there's sound hardware with at least output capability, maybe a
one-way tracker could be built, or something similar.

Also, has the upcoming Dash Express been discussed at all? It's a 2-way
"web mashup" enabled GPS that looks interesting.  Here are some links:

http://www.dash.net
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/19/dash-express-gets-enhanced-geo-feeds/

73,
Lawrence